HOW TO OBTAIN TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY INVESTMENT
Inheritance (Will) Fraud in Turkey
A Brief Information About Real Estate Law in Turkey
Turkey: The Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments
Turkey: Appeal against the Administrative Detention and Deport Decision
Yasaya Aykırı Şekilde Fazla Talep Edilen Kaçak Elektrik Bedeli Ile Gecikme Zammının İadesi-Usulsüz Kullanım Cezaları
Fazla ödediğiniz kaçak doğalgaz bedelini geri alabilirsiniz-Emsal Yargıtay kararı
Elektrik Faturası-Ek Faturalandırma-Hatalı Çarpan-Emsal Yargıtay Kararları
Sigorta Tahkim Komisyonu- Değer Kaybı-Hasar-Tazminat
Taahhütlü Sözleşmelerin İptalinde Cezai Şart Talep Edilemez
Touristic Visa, 90/180 Days Rule, Exclusion Order, Deportation and Consequences of Overstay in Turkey Pursuant to Law on Foreigners and International Protection
Renewable Energy Investments in Turkey-Local Manufacture Issues
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY LAW-TURKEY
4857 ve 6331 Sayılı Kanun-Idari Para Cezalarina İtiraz Sureci
Taxation Issues under the Agreement between Turkish Government and the Federal Republic of Germany for the Avoidance Double Taxation
Turkey: PENAL PROVISIONS SET FORTH IN LAW ON WORK PERMITS FOR FOREIGNERS
HOW TO OBTAIN TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY INVESTMENT
ACQUIRING TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY INVESTMENT
In 2016, in accordance with the subparagraph (j) of paragraph 1 of Article 31 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection (YUK) No. 6458; residence permit holders and Turquoise Card holders and their foreign spouses were taken into consideration in the year in which they and their spouses could gain Turkish citizenship in this way by taking into account the exceptional cases of non-adult or dependent foreign children.
According to the j clause of paragraph 1 of Article 31 titled Short Term Residence Permit of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection; Those who do not work in Turkey but will invest in the scope and amount to be determined by the President and their foreign spouses, his/her and his/her spouse's right to gain Turkish citizenship through investment in non-adult or dependent foreign children have been introduced. The type and amount of the investment as for the exceptional acquisition of Turkish citizenship is regulated by the Council of Ministers' Decision No. 2016/9601, dated December 12, 2016 which was published and entered into force on January 12, 2017 thorough amending the Article 20 of the Regulation of the Implementation of the Turkish Citizenship Law ("Regulation"). With the Presidential Decree No. 106 published in the Official Gazette dated September 19, 2018, the monetary values determined for the previous investments were reduced and the ease of application was provided. Finally, with the amendment made with the Presidential Decree No. 418 published in the Official Gazette dated 07.12.2018, it was possible for foreigners to acquire Turkish citizenship by purchasing immovable property in the amount of at least $250.000,00 and to apply for Turkish citizenship by purchasing immovable property with construction servitude or property ownership established in construction projects with a preliminary sale contract issued in the presence of a notary public.
Accordingly, foreigners who have the general conditions required to become Turkish citizens will be able to gain Turkish citizenship provided that they have at least one of the following conditions. These conditions are as follows;
1. Foreigners who has made a capital investment of at least 500.000,00 USD or its equivalent in foreign currency or its equivalent in the amount of Turkish Lira, determined by the Ministry of Industry,
2. Provided that an annotation of not selling the immovable property in the amount of at least 250.000,00 USD or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent Turkish Lira for at least three years is added to the title deed records Foreigners whose property ownership or construction servitude has been established and contract prepared from a notary public indicating that the sale of the immovable property with a value of at least 250.000,00 USD or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira is promised to be annotated to the land registry with the commitment that it will not be transferred and abandoned for a period of three years,
3. Foreigners who generate employment for at least 50 individuals that is determined by the Ministry of Family, Labor and Urbanization;
4. Foreigners who deposit a minimum of $500.000 or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira to banks that operate in Turkey with the condition to keep such deposit in the relevant bank for at least three (3) years that is determined by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency;
5. Foreigners who purchase state debt instruments with the value of a minimum of $500.000 or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and keep in reserve for at least three (3) years that is determined by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance
6. Foreigners who purchase real estate participation fund share and capital investment trusts fund share with a minimum value of $500.000 or equivalent amount of foreign currency or Turkish Liras on the condition to keep those in reserve for at least three (3) years that is determined by the Capital Market Board.
Acquiring Turkish citizenship through investment takes place in 3 stages. These are;
1. Fulfilling one of the investment conditions specified in Article 20 of the Regulation and obtaining the Certificate of Conformity from the relevant institution,
2. Obtaining short-term residence permit in accordance with the the Law on Foreigners and International Protection; a. 31/1-j,
3. Making an application.
Acquiring Turkish citizenship through investment requires the following documents;
1. Application form,
2. Identity certificate of the country where the foreigner is a citizen,
3. Birth certificate,
4. The identity document of the spouse if the foreigner is married,
5. The children's identity certificate if the foreigner has a child under the age of 18,
6. Documents proving family ties with family members,
7. Head shot of other members of the family,
8. Official document of divorce if the foreign applicant is divorced,
9. If the spouse of the foreign applicant has passed away, the certificate of death,
10. Residence permit or tourist visa issued to the foreigner,
11. If the spouse or other relatives of the foreign applicant are Turkish citizens, their identity photocopies and residence information,
12. Documents indicating that the foreigner has paid the necessary fees before the application,
13. Documents indicating that the foreigner can buy immovable property
For citizenship applications, firstly, the above-mentioned institutions and Ministries that will determine the necessary conditions which shall apply. They will then need a short-term residence permit. The conditions related to this are specified in Article 32 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection;
“a) To make a request by claiming one or more of the reasons listed in the first paragraph of Article 31 and to submit information and documents related to this request
b) Not to be within the scope of Article 7
c) Having accommodation conditions in accordance with general health and safety standards
ç) If requested, to submit the document showing the criminal record issued by the competent authorities of the country of citizenship or legal residence
d) To give the address information that he/she will stay in Turkey ”.
After the relevant stages are completed, citizenship application will be made to the General Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs and the President has the authority to make the final decision on the application.
Please note that applications will not be accepted in case the real estate purchase is made before the application.
Some of our clients intend to purchase the real estate before making the application for citizenship. However, the Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation does not accept this kind of application since the value of the real estate should be approved by the Ministry.
For detailed legal assistance with obtaining Turkish citizenship through investment, please contact us.